Historic Barns Park is a public park with 56 acres of rolling meadows, woodlots and wetlands located in the southwest corner of the Grand Traverse Commons. The site was the agricultural production area for the former Traverse City State Hospital, feeding patients and staff from the 1880s into the 1950s. Dominated in its center by its namesakes lie two majestic barns that have come to be known as the Historic Barn (built in 1900) and the Cathedral Barn (built in 1932).
The Cathedral Barn and an adjoining natural “Amphitheater” space became available for events beginning in 2015. The first interior renovation of the Cathedral Barn focused on the upper loft level, and has space to accommodate 200+ for seated events and 300+ for standing receptions. The renovation included the addition of utility services, restrooms, catering space, heating and cooling.